HORNING, a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Tunstead, E. division of Norfolk, 10 miles (N. E. by E.) from Norwich; containing 467 inhabitants. The mitred abbey of St. Benedict at this place, which was only a hermitage in the year 800, was raised into a monastery for Black monks before 1020, by Canute, who strongly fortified the buildings; it held out for a considerable time against William the Conqueror, but was at last betrayed by one of the monks. The barony and reversion were given in exchange to the Bishop of Norwich, in 1535, when the abbey revenue was valued at £697. 9. 8. The walls originally inclosed an area of 36 acres; part of the foundations may still be traced, and there are also remains of the once magnificent gateway. The parish comprises 2524a. 1r. 38p.; nearly 1000 acres are arable, and the rest rich marshes and meadows, situated between the navigable rivers Bure and Ant, over the former of which is a ferry to Woodbastwich: on the Bure are commodious wharfs. The village consists of two parts, called the Upper and Lower streets; and a fair is held in it on the third Thursday in July. The living is a discharged vicarage; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Norwich. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £175, and the vicarial for £160; the appropriate glebe contains 116 acres, and the vicarial 7. The church is chiefly in the decorated and later English styles, and had formerly a north aisle. At the inclosure, in 1807, about 30 acres were allotted to the poor for fuel.