Horne (St. Mary)
HORNE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Godstone, First division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 5½ miles (S. S. W.) from Godstone; containing 649 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4531 acres, principally arable land; 94 acres are waste. Harwardesley, supposed to have been at one time in the possession of King Harold, and to have been known as Harold's-legh, is a tract of about 500 acres, detached from the rest of the parish, and surrounded by the parishes of Burstow and Horley. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 17. 11., and in the patronage of Thomas Poynder, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £600. It was a chapelry to Bletchingley till 1705, when an act was passed for making it a distinct rectory. The church is in the early and later English styles.