Horndon, West (St. Nicholas)
HORNDON, WEST (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Billericay, hundred of Barstaple, S. division of Essex, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Brentwood; containing 60 inhabitants. This parish, in ancient documents called Thorndon, and Little Horndon, is remarkable for the splendid mansion of Lord Petre, named Thorndon Hall, which is beautifully situated on an eminence, surrounded by an extensive and richly wooded park. The living is a rectory, with that of Ingrave united, valued in the king's books at £14. 13. 4.; net income, £350; patron, the Rev. R. Johnstone: the tithes were commuted for land and a corn-rent in 1776. The church, a plain edifice of brick, was erected in 1734, on the union of the two livings, at the expense of the then Lord Petre. At the Hall is a private Roman Catholic chapel.