HORFIELD, a parish, in the union of Clifton, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 2½ miles (N.) from Bristol; containing 620 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1268 acres, of which 830 are pasture, 385 arable, 19 woodland, and the remainder common. The new Barracks here, the foundation stone of which was laid in June 1845, have just been completed, and occupy four sides of a spacious square, on a slope towards the east, and in a most healthy situation, commanding an extensive prospect over a rich country. At the upper part of the square are day-rooms for cavalry and infantry officers; at the lower part are stables, with men's dormitories over; and the sides are occupied with various departments, officers' sleeping-rooms, &c. The area furnishes a spacious exercising or parade ground. The living of Horfield is a perpetual curacy; net income, £91; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, with the exception of the tower, has been rebuilt, by subscription, aided by a grant of £130 from the Incorporated Society. There are some mineral springs.