Hordle (All Saints)
HORDLE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Lymington, hundred of Christchurch, Lymington and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Lymington; containing, with the tything of Arnwood, 845 inhabitants, of whom 302 are in the tything of Hordle. The parish is washed on the south by the English Channel, and comprises by measurement 3879 acres, of which 2181 are arable, 1056 pasture, 107 woodland, 120 garden-ground, and the remainder waste. Of the cliffs that bound this part of the coast, Hordle cliff is among the highest, and forms a down of considerable extent and beauty, commanding a fine view of the Needles; the substratum is composed of various beds of blueish clay, thickly imbedded with fossils, and of layers of sand and gravel. Hurst Castle, which is described in the article on Lymington, is within the limits of the parish. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Milford: the tithes of Hordle have been commuted for £118 payable to the impropriators, and £77 payable to the vicar, who has also 32 acres of glebe. The church was rebuilt in 1830, at an expense of £1200, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £200 from the Incorporated Society; it is a neat structure in the early English style, and contains 390 sittings. There is a place of worship for Baptists.