Horbling (St. Andrew)
HORBLING (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Bourne, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles (E. by N.) from Falkingham; containing, with the hamlet of Bridge-End, 571 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Bourne to Boston, and comprises by measurement 2650 acres, in addition to which there are 303 acres by computation. Stone for rough building, and for the roads, is quarried. The fen drains at Dinnington High Bridge, which bound the parish to the east, afford facilities of navigation. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10.; net income, £290, arising from land given in lieu of tithes in 1764; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church combines portions in the Norman, and in the early, decorated, and later English styles. Here is a school endowed with £30 per annum in 1691 by Edward Brown, who also bequeathed a fund for apprenticing children. The parish contains a spring of remarkably pure water, never varying either in quantity or temperature. To the east of the village are some remains of the Roman Cardyke.