HOPWELL, a hamlet, in the parish of Wilne, union of Shardlow, hundred of Morlaston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (E.) from Derby, on the road to Nottingham; containing 25 inhabitants. The manor of "Opewelle" was held by Ralph Fitz-Hubert, under the Bishop of Chester, at the time of the Domesday survey; in 1296 it was held by Ralph de Shirley, under the Earl of Lancaster. It afterwards passed to the Sacheverells, one of whom, in 1661, bequeathed it to his cousin Henry Hayes, who sold the property in 1731: in 1784 it came by purchase to the father of the present owner, Thomas Pares, Esq., late M.P. for Leicester. The hamlet comprises 650 acres, of which two-thirds are pasture, and one-third arable, with some woodland; the soil is a strong clay, the land elevated, and extensive views are obtained into the shires of Nottingham, Leicester, Northampton, and Stafford. Hopwell Hall, a handsome brick edifice built in 1720, and standing in a well wooded park of about 90 acres, is the seat of Mr. Pares.