Hopton-Wafers (St. Michael)
HOPTON-WAFERS (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Cleobury-Mortimer, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of Salop, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Cleobury-Mortimer, and 11 (W. by N.) from Bewdley; containing 481 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from Birmingham to Ludlow, and comprises by measurement 1610 acres, of which 1300 are arable, pasture, and woodland, and 310 common and roads. The surface is hilly, the scenery very pleasing, and the soil a stiff clay, and stony. On the Clee hills are coal works. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 16. 5½., and in the patronage of Mrs. Lucy Botfield: the tithes have been commuted for £180, and the glebe consists of 84 acres, with a house. The church was rebuilt on an enlarged scale in 1828, by the late Thomas Botfield, Esq., of Hopton Court, in the parish, the present residence of Mrs. Botfield. The Ranters have a place of worship; and there is a school with an endowment. Here are a spring of water resembling that of Malvern, and one of chalybeate quality. Old Parr, and the Infant Roscius, were natives of the parish.