Hopesay (St. Mary)
HOPESAY (St. Mary) a parish, in the union of Clun, hundred of Purslow, S. division of Salop, 6 miles (S. E.) from Bishop's-Castle; containing 660 inhabitants. It comprises 4021 acres, of which 198 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 12. 6., and in the gift of the Adams' family: the tithes have been commuted for £502, and the glebe contains 62 acres. A school was erected on the waste in 1790; and John Pugh, in 1808, left £10 per annum, which, with some smaller sums, are distributed among the poor.