Hope-Under-Dinmore (St. Mary)
HOPE-UNDER-DINMORE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Leominster; containing 586 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the river Lug, and on the road from Leominster to Hereford, comprises 3657a. 2r. 6p.; the soil in some parts is light, and in others a deep loam resting on gravel, and appropriated chiefly to the growth of hops and of apples. Stone of good quality for paving and building is quarried. Hampton Court, here, the magnificent seat of the family of Arkwright, situated in a park eight miles in circumference, was built by Sir Rowland Lenthall, who distinguished himself at Agincourt, where he had a command, and took so many prisoners, that with their ransom he completed the edifice. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron, the Bishop of Hereford, who, with the family of Arkwright, is impropriator. The church was rebuilt in 1815; several members of the Coningsby family have been interred in it, one of whom, Sir Thomas, founded Coningsby hospital, Hereford. On the western brow of Dinmore Hill is the site of a commandery of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem.