HOOSE, a township, in the parish of West Kirby, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester, 9½ miles (N. N. W.) from Great Neston; containing 444 inhabitants. This township, which comprises only 74 acres, of a sandy soil, is not mentioned in the Domesday survey; which may be attributed to its being so small, and lying between Great and Little Meolse, of which it was probably then a part. It has been in the possession of various persons, among others of the family of Glegg, of Irby; in 1812, the manor, and the greater part of the township, became the property of John Timothy Swainson, Esq., formerly collector of the Customs of Liverpool. The sea front of the three townships occupies a line of upwards of five miles, reaching from the western part of Wallasey to the village of West Kirby. The inhabitants of Hoose are principally boatmen and fishermen, who have frequently evinced the greatest courage and alacrity in rescuing mariners from the horrors of shipwreck; large banks of sand, extending for miles on the northwest, being annually the scene of most fatal disasters to shipping. The Liverpool custom-house has a branch establishment, or water-guard, stationed here. See Meolse, Great and Little.