HOON, a township, in the parish of Marston-UponDove, union of Burton, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 9¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Derby; containing 39 inhabitants. The manor at the Domesday survey was held by Sewall, ancestor of the Shirley family, under Henry de Ferrers. The Shirleys possessed it in the reign of Henry VIII., and it was purchased of them by the Palmers, who were succeeded by the Staffords. About the middle of the 17th century, it was sold to John Pye, Esq., who settled at Hoon, and was created a baronet in 1664: the estate remained in this family for some time, and came by inheritance to the Watkinses, and afterwards, by purchase, to other and recent proprietors. The township contains about 800 acres; the soil on the hills is a gravelly marl, and on the common a rich sand: the Derby and Uttoxeter road passes near. The Hall is an ancient half-timbered building, with pointed gables. A tithe modus of £3 is paid to the Vicar of Marston. There is an ancient barrow.