Honington (St. Wilfrid)
HONINGTON (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Grantham, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5½ miles (N. N. E.) from Grantham; containing 149 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Grantham to Lincoln and to Sleaford, comprises about 1500 acres: stone of good quality is quarried for building and for repairing the roads. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 0. 5.; patron and appropriator, Sir T. G. Apreece, Bart.: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £200; the glebe consists of only one rood, but there is other land attached to the living, producing £25 per annum. The church is a plain edifice. Eastward of the village is a square doubletrenched camp, within the area of which, two urns full of Roman coins, with some fragments of bridles and warlike weapons were discovered in 1691. In the valley between Honington and Carleton is a large flat tumulus.