HOLWELL, a parish, in the union of Hitchin, hundred of Clifton, county of Bedford, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Hitchin; containing 182 inhabitants, and consisting of 550 acres by computation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 7.; net income, £120, arising from 120 acres of land given in lieu of tithes in 1802; patron, F. P. D. Radcliff, Esq. The church, an ancient structure in the early English style, has been partly rebuilt and restored. There is property at East Greenwich, bequeathed to the parish by Mr. Rand, in 1706, and now producing £700 per annum, for the apprenticing of children; with the accumulated savings, a school, a house for the incumbent, and six almshouses, were built in the year 1831, by an order in chancery.