Holton (St. Mary)
HOLTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Stratford St. Mary; containing 187 inhabitants, and comprising 837 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 14. 7., and in the gift of Sir Joshua Rowley, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £310, and the glebe comprises 35 acres, with a house. A school-house, built on the waste, was conveyed by Sir Francis Mannock, Bart., to trustees, in 1749; and in 1758, by the exertions and pecuniary aid of the Rev. Mr. White, then rector, a school was endowed, the income of which is £35 per annum.