Holton (St. Bartholomew)
HOLTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Headington, hundred of Bullingdon, county of Oxford, 1 mile (N. E.) from Wheatley; containing 289 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south-east by the river Thame, and comprises by computation 1600 acres, whereof 970 are pasture, 460 arable, and 162 woodland. Its soil is generally a fine loam resting upon stiff clay, and in the higher parts has a substratum of oolite rock. The ancient mansion was taken down in 1804, and a handsome structure built on a different site, by Elisha Biscoe, Esq.; it is surrounded by a park of 148 acres, inclosed with a stone wall, and richly embellished with timber. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 19. 2., and in the patronage of the Biscoe family; net income, £390. The church is a cruciform structure, with a chapel attached to the north aisle, and another to the south; the latter, which appears to be the less ancient, was built by William Brome, who in 1461 was buried in a vault underneath it. In the parish register is recorded the marriage of Ireton to Bridget, daughter of Oliver Cromwell, which took place June 15th, 1646, in the mansion-house of the Whorwood family, to whom the estate was conveyed by marriage with the heiress of George Brome.