HOLT, a chapelry, in the parish of Medbourne, union of Uppingham, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Rockingham; containing, with the hamlet of Bradley, 40 inhabitants. This chapelry, sometimes called Holt with Bradley, comprises 1097 acres of land, which was mostly in open fields until the inclosure in 1844. Bradley Priory, which stood on the west side of the township, and had an estate here of about 500 acres, was founded by Robert Buoneby, about 1200, for Augustine canons: the site is now occupied by modern dwelling-houses. Holt Hall is a large and handsome mansion, beautifully seated on an eminence commanding extensive views, and is surrounded by pleasure-grounds. The chapel is dedicated to St. Giles, and has a nave, chancel, north and south transepts, and a tower crowned by a lofty spire. There is also a Roman Catholic place of worship. A spring, impregnated with iron and aluminous and calcareous salts, was discovered in 1728, and is called the Nevill-Holt water.