Holme-Pierrepoint (St. Edmund)
HOLME-PIERREPOINT (St. Edmund), a parish, in the union of Bingham, S. division of the wapentake of Bingham, and of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Nottingham; containing with the hamlet of Adbolton, formerly a distinct parish, and part of the hamlet of Bassingfield, 222 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Trent, comprises about 3000 acres. The soil is generally a rich alluvial loam, in some parts mixed with sand and resting on gravel; the surface is flat, and the Grantham canal passes through the southern portion of the parish. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Adbolton united in 1707, valued in the king's books at £15. 7. 6., and in the gift of Earl Manvers. The incumbent's tithes in Holme-Pierrepoint, Gamstone, Adbolton, and Bassingfield have been commuted for £748. 16. 3., and the glebe contains 36 acres; a rentcharge of £124 is also paid to the rector of West Bridgeford who has a glebe of 2½ acres. The church, erected in the time of Henry VII., is a fine structure, having numerous large windows with a tower surmounted by a lofty spire; it contains the family vault of the dukes of Kingston, several mural monuments, and some brasses.