Holme-on-the-Wolds (St. Peter)
HOLME-ON-THE-WOLDS (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 6¼ miles (N. W.) from Beverley; containing 149 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1470 acres, of which 1440 are arable, and 30 pasture; the chief proprietors are Lord Hotham and the Duke of Devonshire. The village is contiguous to the road from Beverley to Malton. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £8. 19. 7.; net income, £58; patron and impropriator, the Duke of Devonshire: the tithes were commuted for land and money payments in 1795. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a low tower.