Holme-Next-The-Sea (St. Mary)
HOLME-NEXT-THE-SEA (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Smithdon, W. division of Norfolk, 18 miles (N. N. E.) from Lynn; containing 280 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Wells to Lynn, comprises by computation 1570 acres, whereof 800 are arable, 300 pasture and meadow, and about 400 salt-marsh and common. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to that of Thornham, and valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; the appropriate tithes of Holme have been commuted for £290, and the vicarial for £170; the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church was built by Henry de Nottingham, one of the council of the duchy of Lancaster, and is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles: in the south aisle is a brass to the memory of the founder, on which are effigies of himself and his wife; and in the chancel is a monument to Richard Stone and family. The rent of 12 acres of land is distributed among the poor. A whale, measuring 57 feet in length, was thrown on this coast in 1626.