Hollym (St. Nicholas)
HOLLYM (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Patrington, S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing, with the township of Withernsea, 373 inhabitants, of whom 247 are in Hollym township, 3 miles (N. E.) from Patrington. The two townships comprised, at the time of the inclosure, 2300 acres. The village of Hollym is pleasantly situated; that of Withernsea is on the shore of the sea, which has made considerable encroachments on that ancient parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 2., and in the patronage of the Barker family, with a net income of £420: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment, under the act of inclosure, in 1793. The church of Hollym was built in 1814: that of Withernsea has long been in ruins. George Cook Pope, in 1814, bequeathed £300 towards the support of a school.