Hollingbourne (All Saints)
HOLLINGBOURNE (All Saints), a parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Eyhorne, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (E.) from Maidstone; containing 1300 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4560 acres, of which about 2110 are arable, 1616 pasture, 759 woodland, and 74 acres hop-plantations; the soil is favourable to the growth of corn and hops. There are a paper manufactory and a tan-yard. The living comprises a sinecure rectory and a vicarage, valued jointly in the king's books at £36. 2. 1.; patron of both, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £647. 10., the vicarial for £325, and the glebe contains 2 acres. The vicarage has the living of Hucking annexed. The church is a handsome edifice: attached is a chapel with a stone floor, containing a superb monument to the memory of Lady Culpepper, to whose family are several other monuments. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The poor-law union comprises 23 parishes or places, and contains a population of 13,830: the union house was erected in 1836, and a commodious chapel has lately been added.