HOLDENHURST, a parochial chapelry, annexed to the parish, and in the union, of Christchurch, liberty of Westover, Ringwood and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Christchurch; containing, with the tythings of Muccleshell, Muscliffe, and Throop, 905 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east and north by the river Stour, which abounds with excellent salmon. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Christchurch. The chapel, the first stone of which was laid by the Earl of Malmesbury, on Aug. 8th, 1833, cost £1200, of which £300 were granted by the Incorporated Society; it is in the later English style, with a campanile turret, and contains 400 sittings, of which 315 are free. There is a place of worship for Independents.