Holcot (St. Mary and All Saints)
HOLCOT (St. Mary and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 7 miles (N. N. E.) from Northampton; containing 456 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1336 acres, of which about three-fourths are arable land, and the remainder pasture; the surface is undulated, and the soil, generally, of good quality. Excellent stone is obtained for burning into lime, and for building. The village, in which are the remains of a cross, lies between two roads leading from Northampton to Market-Harborough and Kettering respectively. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8.; net income, £345, with a good glebe-house, built in 1826; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Robert Montgomery. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1777. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower, in good repair: the interior was beautified and repewed, and an organ added, in 1841, at a cost of £500. There are a Wesleyan, and a Baptist place of worship. Sixty persons died of the plague, in this parish, in 1638.