HOLBROOK, a chapelry, in the parish of Duffield, union of Belper, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Belper; containing 880 inhabitants. The chapelry comprises 852a. 1r. 29p., whereof 540 acres are meadow land, 280 plough-land, and 30 acres woodland; it stands elevated, and embraces beautiful views. About three-fourths of the inhabitants are employed in making silk and cotton hosiery, and gloves. The Midland railway, and the river Derwent, pass to the west, and the road from Derby to Alfreton on the east, of the village. Holbrook Hall is a fine old mansion, surrounded with 300 acres of land, and is the property of William Evans, Esq., M.P. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Evans. The chapel was built in 1761, by the Rev. S. Bradshaw, and endowed by him with £30 per annum; in 1841 it was entirely rebuilt, on a larger scale, and in the Grecian style, at the sole expense of the patron, who added £20 per annum to the endowment, which has been increased with £6. 10. from Queen Anne's Bounty: the edifice now contains 408 sittings, of which 250 are free. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £45. 10., and the vicarial for £6. 5. Day, Sunday, and infant schools have been built, and are supported, by the patron; and the Independents and Wesleyans have a place of worship. A spring of good water has been brought from a distance to the village, at the expense of Mr. Evans.