Holbeton (All Saints)
HOLBETON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from Modbury; containing 1120 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4000 acres, of which 155 are common or waste land; it is bounded by the river Erme and Bigbury bay, and abounds with beautiful scenery. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £24. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriators, John Crocker Bulteel, Esq., and others. The great tithes have been commuted for £494. 5., and the vicarial for £340. In addition to the parochial church, there was formerly a chapel, dedicated to St. Leonard.