HOGNASTON, a parish, in the hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 5 miles (S. W. by W.) from Wirksworth; containing 272 inhabitants. It is intersected by the road between Wirksworth and Ashbourn, and comprises 1350 acres of land, occupied as dairy-farms. The village is small, and indifferently built, but pleasantly seated on an acclivity. Limestone abounds in the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £55, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield; lessee of the tithes (which have been commuted for £204), George Errington, Esq. The church is an ancient structure with a tower and south porch, within which last is a fine Norman doorway. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists, a neat brick building, erected in 1827. Three small sums derived from land are appropriated to the poor.