Hockliffe (St. Nicholas)
HOCKLIFFE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Woburn, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Leighton-Buzzard; containing 435 inhabitants. The situation of this place is low, from which circumstance it acquired the appellation of Hockliffe, or Hockley, in the Hole; it was noted for its miry road, which of late years has been much improved. The manor belonged to the monastery of Woburn: in 1615 it was granted to Thomas Hillersden, and in 1712 was purchased of his descendants by Allen, Lord Bathurst, who sold it in 1718 to the Reynalls, from whom it passed to Francis Moore, Esq., The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Chalgrave united in 1772, valued in the king's books at £16. 9. 7.; net income, £393; patron, the Rev. J. S. Neumann. The church stands on a hill at some distance from the high road. There is a place of worship for Independents. Francis West, in 1690, bequeathed £400 for educating children. In the reign of John here was an hospital, dedicated to St. John the Baptist.