Hockham (Holy Trinity)
HOCKHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. W.) from Larlingford; containing 644 inhabitants. This parish, which is separated from East Wretham by a Roman road, consists of Great and Little Hockham, formerly two distinct parishes, now united; and comprises by measurement 3380 acres, whereof 1935 are arable, 508 meadow and pasture, 266 woodland, and 618 fen, sands, and heath. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 17. 11., and in the gift of the Rev. J. Spurgin; impropriators, H. S. Partridge, Esq., and others: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £275, and the glebe comprises 5 acres, with a house. The church, which is chiefly in the decorated style, is picturesquely situated in the grounds of Hockham Hall, the seat of Mr. Partridge. There was formerly a church at Little Hockham. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship in the parish.