Hockerton (St. Nicholas)
HOCKERTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 2 miles (N. N. E.) from Southwell; containing 136 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1600 acres. This place was held by Joannes le Walur in 1183, and was afterwards possessed by the families of Botiler and Criche; it is now the property of Colonel Whetham, of Kirklington, who succeeded to the estate of the late Admiral Sotheron, in 1839. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4½.; net income, £224; patron, Colonel Whetham: the glebe comprises 50 acres, with a good glebe-house. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower; it was repewed in the year 1843.