Hittisleigh (St. Andrew)
HITTISLEIGH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of Wonford, Crockernwell and S. divisions of Devon, 7½ miles (W. S. W.) from the town of Crediton; containing 199 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1000 acres; the soil is rather heavy, lying on a tenacious clay, but produces good crops of wheat, barley, and potatoes. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2. 1., and in the gift of Charles Calmady, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £85, and the glebe consists of 30 acres. The church is a plain edifice, containing about 200 sittings.