Hitchenden, or Hughenden (St. Michael)
HITCHENDEN, or Hughenden (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Wycombe, hundred of Desborough, county of Buckingham, 1¾ mile (N.) from Wycombe; containing 1481 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4977 acres, of which 400 are common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 17. 6.; patron, J. Norris, Esq.; impropriators, the landowners: the great tithes have been commuted for £319, and the small for £350. The church, which is partly of Norman architecture, has a curious font, and some remarkable monuments supposed to commemorate the descendants of Simon Montfort, Earl of Leicester, who was killed at the battle of Evesham, and whose family retired hither after that event, and occupied the ancient mansion of Rockhall, recently rebuilt. Catherine Pye, in 1713, conveyed property towards the endowment of a school; and Ellen, Countess of Conyngham, bequeathed £500 four per cent. Bank annuities, for the foundation and endowment of four almshouses, on the south-west of the churchyard.