HIPSWELL, a chapelry, in the parish of Catterick, union of Richmond, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of York, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Catterick; consisting of the townships of Hipswell, Colburn, and Scotton; and containing 313 inhabitants, of whom 33 are in the township of Hipswell. The township comprises 2535a. 1r. 13p. The chapel, dedicated to St. Martin, was rebuilt in the later English style, in 1811. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron, the Vicar of Catterick. Christopher Plowes, in 1665, bequeathed £100 to be vested in land, the rent of which, now £22 per annum, was to be distributed among the poor of the chapelry. Robert Cockin, in 1757, gave £100 towards the endowment of a free school, for which a more commodious building was erected by subscription, in 1815. See Martin, St.