Hinton, Cherry (St. Andrew)
HINTON, CHERRY (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Flendish, county of Cambridge, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Cambridge; containing 654 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2043 acres, about 100 of which are pasture. The church stands near the Gogmagog hills: the valley beneath was formerly noted for an abundance of cherry-trees growing in it, but it is now the principal spot in the county where saffron is cultivated. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 14. 7.; net income, £164; patrons and appropriators, the Master and Fellows of Peter-House, Cambridge: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1806. A national school was founded by the late Rev. Bewick Bridge, who built the school premises, and endowed it with £1000. Various fossil teeth, and vertebræ of fish, are found in the chalkpits here.