Hinstock (St. Oswald)
HINSTOCK (St. Oswald), a parish, in the union of Drayton, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop, 5¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Newport; containing 897 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Birmingham to Chester, comprises by measurement 3036 acres; the soil for the greater part is light and sandy, and the surface is diversified with hills. Stone of good quality for building is quarried; and the Birmingham Junction canal passes within a short distance of the village. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 16., and in the patronage of the Trustees of the late Sir C. Corbet, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £527. 17. 6., and the glebe comprises 14 acres. The church, rebuilt in 1721, is a neat structure of stone. There is a chalybeate sulphureous spring in the parish. Vestiges of an ancient castle may be traced.