Hinksey, South (St. John)
HINKSEY, SOUTH (St. John), a parish, in the union of Abingdon, hundred of Hormer, county of Berks, 1½ mile (S.) from Oxford; containing 153 inhabitants, and comprising by admeasurement 600 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Wootton annexed; net income, £183; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Abingdon. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1814. In a field north of the church is a conduit, erected in 1620, for supplying the city of Oxford with water.