Hinderwell (St. Hilda)
HINDERWELL (St. Hilda), a parish, in the union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 10 miles (N. W. by W.) from Whitby; including the chapelry of Roxby, and containing 1970 inhabitants, of whom 1771 are in the township of Hinderwell. This place derives its name, anciently Hilderwell, from a spring of pure water in the churchyard, dedicated to St. Hilda, who is said to have had a retreat near the spot. The lands were granted by William the Conqueror to the Percys, and afterwards became the property of the powerful family of Thweng, who retained possession of them till the reign of Richard II., since which time the estate has successively belonged to the Lumley, Sheffield, and Mulgrave families. It is at present owned by the Marquess of Normanby, who is lord of the manor. In 1603, the plague was communicated to the village by a Turkish vessel wrecked upon this part of the coast, and raged here for six weeks, carrying off many of the inhabitants. The parish is of considerable extent, and bounded on the north and northeast by the sea; the soil is chiefly clay with a mixture of gravel, and clayey loam, producing favourable crops, and the surface is diversified by craggy hills and precipitous acclivities, and much beautiful woodland scenery. Stone for building is quarried in abundance, and jet of fine quality is found on the coast. There is a woollen manufactory on a small scale. The village stands on gently rising ground, about a mile from the sea; and within the limits of the parish, are also the villages of Runswick and Staithes, both on the sea-shore: the village of Runswick, to the east of Hinderwell, has a strikingly picturesque appearance, and that of Staithes is romantically situated on a narrow creek between two cliffs. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15, net income, £610; patron, Robert Barry, Esq. The tithes of Hinderwell township have been commuted for £306, and the glebe consists of 46 acres. The church rebuilt by the parishioners, in 1817, at a cost of £600, is a plain neat structure with a tower. At Roxby is a small chapel of ease; and there are places of worship in the village of Staithes for Calvinists, Wesleyan Methodists, and Ranters.