Hinderclay (St. Mary)
HINDERCLAY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stow, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Botesdale; containing 387 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the smaller river Ouse, which separates it from the county of Norfolk; and comprises by computation about 1300 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 4½.; patron, G. St. Vincent Wilson, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £400, and the glebe consists of 26 acres. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower.