Himbleton (St. Mary Magdalene)
HIMBLETON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Droitwich, Middle division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Droitwich and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4½ miles (S. E.) from Droitwich; containing, with Shell, extra-parochial, 481 inhabitants. The parish consists of 2174a. 2r. 1p. of fertile land, well wooded; two-thirds are pasture, and the rest arable. It is watered by the Bow rivulet; and on the north-west is skirted by the Birmingham and Worcester canal, close to which the Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes. There are several good fox-covers. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 6. 10½.; net income, £110; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The tithes were commuted for land in 1779. The church stands near the village, and from its rude appearance must be of ancient date.