HILTON, a township, in the parish of Marstonupon-Dove, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 8¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Derby; containing 723 inhabitants. The township comprises 1620 acres of land, and has a large and pleasant village on the Derby and Uttoxeter road. The Wakelyn is an ancient half-timbered mansion, with gables, and curiously ornamented. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A school-house was erected about 1655, by Arthur and Thomas Harrison; and in 1781 the commissioners of inclosures allotted land now producing £31. 10. per annum for the support of a master. Attached to the Established Church is an infant school.