Hillmorton (St. John the Baptist)
HILLMORTON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Rugby, Rugby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 2 miles (E. S. E.) from Rugby; containing 953 inhabitants. The manor, after the Conquest, belonged to Sir Thomas de Astley, by whose family it was sold to Mr. Vere, merchant, of London; and after passing through other hands, it was purchased by the daughter of Lady Grey de Ruthyn, who conveyed it by marriage to the Marquess of Hastings, by whom the advowson was sold and the estate divided. The parish is situated on the borders of Northamptonshire, and on the road from Coventry to Northampton; and comprises by computation 3450 acres of a rich and fertile soil, of which two-thirds are pasture, and one-third arable. It is intersected by the Oxford canal, and the London and Birmingham railway, the rateable annual value of the former property being £1010, and of the latter £1909. In the parish is a capital fox-cover. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10. 6.; net income, £270; patron, Robert Stanley, Esq.: the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church is a very ancient structure in the Norman style, and contains monuments to Sir Thos. de Astley, and Lady Edith, his mother. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Baptists; and a parochial school has an endowment of £16 per annum.