Hillington (St. Mary)
HILLINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 7½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Lynn; containing 321 inhabitants. This parish, which is the property of Sir W. J. H. B. Ffolkes, Bart., lord of the manor, comprises by measurement 2529 acres, whereof 1833 are arable, 537 pasture, and 126 woodland; the soil is chiefly chalk, alternated with sand, and the lower grounds are watered by a very pure stream, which rises in the parish, and bounds it on one side. Hillington Hall, the seat of the lord of the manor, is a stately mansion, beautifully situated in a richly-wooded park; it was originally erected in 1627, and has been much enlarged and improved by its present proprietor, who has added to it a noble hall, staircase, and library. The petty-sessions for the division are held in the village every month. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of Sir W. Ffolkes: the tithes have been commuted for £440, and the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church is chiefly in the early English style, with a square embattled tower, and contains some still more ancient details, among which is a Norman doorway of great beauty. The poor are entitled to one-half of the proceeds of thirty-one acres of land, bequeathed by F. Callibutt, in the reign of Henry VIII. On an eminence commanding an extensive view, are the remains of Belmont House, a large mansion commenced by Sir James Johnstone, but never completed.