Hillingdon (St. John the Baptist)
HILLINGDON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 13½ miles (W. by N.) from London; containing, with the market-town of Uxbridge, and the district of Uxbridge-Moor, 9246 inhabitants, of whom 3219 are in Uxbridge. Hillingdon House, the residence of Mr. Cox, was partly destroyed by fire in February 1844; the drawing-room, in which the Queen had been entertained to luncheon about three weeks previously, was destroyed: the damage was estimated at £15,000. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £489; patron, the Bishop of London; appropriator, the Bishop of Worcester: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1812. The church is principally in the later English style, with an embattled tower at the west end, and contains, among others, a fine monument to the memory of Henry, Earl of Uxbridge, who died in 1743: in the churchyard is the tomb of John Rich, comedian, who died in 1761. At Uxbridge and Uxbridge-Moor are separate incumbencies.