Hillesden (All Saints)
HILLESDEN (All Saints), a parish, in the union, hundred, and county of Buckingham, 3¾ miles (W. by S.) from Buckingham; containing 262 inhabitants. This place was formerly the property of the Denton family, of whom Sir Alexander Denton, Knt., during the parliamentary war, garrisoned his manor-house for the king; it was, however, taken by assault and plundered, in 1644. The manufacture of lace affords employment to many females. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £64; patrons, the Dean and Canons of ChristChurch, Oxford, in whom the tithes are vested. The church, which was rebuilt in 1493, is a handsome structure, in the later English style; in the chancel are several fine monuments to the Denton family.