Hildersham (Holy Trinity)
HILDERSHAM (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Linton; containing 238 inhabitants. This place formerly belonged to the De Veres, earls of Oxford, who were lords of the manor. The parish comprises by computation 1500 acres: the village is pleasantly situated on a small stream which flows into the river Granta. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 0. 5.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Charles Goodwin: the tithes have been commuted for £407, and the glebe comprises 67 acres. The church is in the early English style: the east window is of large dimensions and of elegant design, and in several of the windows are beautiful remains of stained glass; there are some ancient monuments, with the effigies in oak of Sir Robert de Boteller, a knight crusader of the fourteenth century, and his lady, and some brasses to the Paris family, who settled here in the reign of Edward III. The Roman road leading from the station near Cambridge to Colchester bounds the parish. Matthew Paris, the historian, is supposed to have been born here.