Higham-on-the-Hill (St. Peter)
HIGHAM-ON-THE-HILL (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (N. E.) from the town of Nuneaton; containing, with the hamlets of Lindley and Rowden, 556 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the line of the ancient Watling-street, comprises 2500 acres. The soil is chiefly a stiff clay, alternated with marl, producing fine crops of wheat; the surface is generally flat, and the scenery enriched with wood. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal passes through. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 4½.; net income, £552; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. Fisher: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1806. The church has a Norman tower; the body has been rebuilt in the Grecian style. In 1607, many silver coins of the reign of Henry III. were discovered, on turning up a large stone which lay at the intersection of the Watling-street with another road leading to Coventry; and several Roman coins, a gold ring with a ruby, another with an agate, and a third of silver with an Arabic inscription, were found here about the same period.