Higham, Cold (St. Luke)
HIGHAM, COLD (St. Luke) a parish, in the union and hundred of Towcester, S. division of the county of Northampton, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Towcester, on the road to Daventry; containing, with the hamlet of Grimscote, 388 inhabitants. It comprises 1699a. 32p.; of which three-fourths are arable, and the rest pasture, with about 30 acres of wood; the surface is gently undulated, and the soil chiefly a reddish, sandy loam. From the elevated situation of the parish the views are extensive, embracing the battle-field of Naseby, eighteen miles distant. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £407, with a glebe-house; patron, the Earl of Pomfret. The tithes were commuted for land in 1812. Of the church, the nave and chancel are in the decorated style, and built in the 14th century; the tower is early English: in a small chapel is a monument to a Knight Templar. There are a Sunday school, and a clothing club. The parish is bounded on the north-east by the Roman Watlingstreet.