Higham (St. Mary)
HIGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 8 miles (N. N. E.) from Colchester; containing 259 inhabitants. The parish comprises 880a. 2r. 11p., and is bounded on the south by the river Stour, and on the west by the river Bret or Breton, which empties itself into the Stour: a bridge was built over the Bret in 1837. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the gift of certain Trustees: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £206, and the glebe comprises 51 acres. The church is neat, and situated near the junction of the two rivers.