Hickling (St. Mary)
HICKLING (St. Mary), a parish, in the Tunstead and Happing incorporation, hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (S. E.) from Stalham; containing 860 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4260 acres, of which 2000 are marsh: there is a lake upwards of three miles in circumference, navigable for small craft to the Thurne and Bure rivers. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 3. 4.; net income, £253; patron and impropriator, N. Micklethwaite, Esq. The church is chiefly in the decorated style, with a lofty embattled tower; the nave is separated from the chancel by a carved screen. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. At the inclosure, in 1805, an allotment of 83 acres was made to the poor, the proceeds of which amount to about £50 per annum. A dividend of £8. 15., from a bequest by the Rev. John Wells in 1803, is paid for teaching children. A priory of Black canons, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, St. Augustine, and All Saints, was founded in the year 1185, by Theobald de Valentia or Valoins; the revenue, at the Dissolution, was valued at £137. 0. 1.