Hickleton (St. Denis)
HICKLETON (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Doncaster; containing 157 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Doncaster to Beverley, and within four miles of the Midland railway, comprises 1045 acres, whereof by far the greater part is arable, about 50 acres woodland, and the remainder meadow and pasture. The surface is elevated, rising to a height of 365 feet above the level of the sea: the soil partly rests on magnesian limestone, and is partly loam on various subsoils; the hills are composed of magnesian limestone, and the substratum in the lower parts is principally a sandy freestone. Hickleton Hall, the seat of the Rt. Hon. Sir Charles Wood, Bart., is a spacious modern mansion, finely situated. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patron, Sir C. Wood. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly in the Norman style, with a tower and aisle added within the last 150 years. A hill called the Castle Hill, is supposed to have been a small station on a vicinal road connecting the Roman road from Lincoln to Boroughbridge with that which extends from the Ford across the Strafforth sands to Castleford.